Sunday, June 29, 2008

Broccoli

Why is it yellow?

I must start by saying I've been harvesting broccoli for a few weeks now. We've eaten it with at least 3 meals. I know that's not a lot, and I'm realizing I should definitely plant more next time. However, we would have a little more except a few heads from the side shoots are yellow. Is it from the heat or maybe it needs more nitrogen? I just don't know. To make things more interesting, I did harvest some nice heads today. Why are some fine and some weird?

I got the rest of the cucumber plants mulched with grass clippings and added some more around the peppers too. I didn't quite get finished harvesting the grass, but it is all raked. I should have enough to put more around the eggplant and all of my tomatoes. When I went to get the wheelbarrow, I noticed the compost pile was a little smelly, so I turned and fluffed it a bit. It was really cool to see how some of the grass actually is starting to look like dirt just a bit. I also did another section of sawdust path. So, now I can put some herbs next to that bed as companions. I need to ponder which ones though. I'm just about ready to prep the fence with layers to plant berry bushes this fall.

No comments: