Friday, June 27, 2008

Starting Over And Not Needing To

My tomatoes have been in the ground for almost a week now, and they're not dead...yet. I disinfected the cages with a diluted bleach solution and rinsed them off well with lots of water before putting them back.

I've decided that my cow manure corn mounds were a bad idea, but it was a fun experiment. The corn seems to have reached a stopping point in its growth and some of the bean plants have yellow leaves with green veins (a sign of iron deficiency). Two yellow squash, one zucchini, and one butternut have sprouted, but none of the others are coming up. I didn't have anything with iron here, and I didn't really want to go to the store today. However, I discovered that I still had some evil Miracle Grow Shake & Feed in the utility closet. I decided I might as well use it up, so I sprinkled some on the two mounds with the weird looking beans. Hopefully it will do something. The good thing is that I planted extra corn in my new bed and it's doing great! My mom's garden has happy squash and beans, so maybe we'll at least get a taste from her if nothing else.

I can't figure out why I have one great row of okra and one sad one. They're right next to each other. I just don't get it. I decided to do some fill in planting with the okra as well as with leeks, carrots, and swiss chard. We'll see if anything decides to come up. I sprayed the eggplant again with Safer soap. The ants are farming aphids like crazy on it, but I can tell I'm winning. The fertilizer helped too, I'm sure. I think it's about ready to flower. I also pulled up the last of my bolting mustard to repot my spearmint and pulled up the bug eaten collards and replanted more.

Now to the good news, I harvested my first cucumber today! I also thinned out some green onions for my dad, and we got a zucchini from the lady that carpools with DH. My hot peppers are ready to harvest if I wanted them green, but I will wait for red since I have no need for them at present. I noticed today that both sweet peppers, the roma, and cherry are also becoming loaded. And I noticed the first tiny baby watermelons and cantaloupe. I have also been enjoying sniping herbs for whatever I'm cooking. I don't know why I didn't do herbs sooner. They're easy!

No comments: