Monday, April 7, 2008

Row Cover Ponderings

This evening when I looked at my plants it seemed that my Brussels sprouts were wilty. One was even shriveled over. I became concerned that the rain isn't getting through the row cover very well. I'm now thinking that that was the cause to my cabbage damage and not a cutworm. Interestingly, the one cabbage plant that wasn't under the row cover (because the wind had pulled it up) seemed to be much bigger than the other ones. I pulled up the row cover. I think it's doing more damage than good, especially since I keep reading that healthy plants shouldn't really have a big insect problem. As soon as I have time for more planting, I will go ahead and plant my dill, so that should help a bit too.

On a happy note, I noticed my radishes are just starting to poke out. I watered everything well. Hopefully, my Brussels sprouts will spring back to life. Fortunately, I have a couple extra plants to replace the ones I killed thus far.

No comments: