Sunday, April 27, 2008

Containers & Flowers

Seedlings waiting for warmer weather: Cat grass, Carmen sweet pepper, Rosa Bianca eggplant, & two pots Sugar Baby watermelon.

Today I was excited to see that most everything I had already planted in containers has sprouted, as well as my cucumbers and the watermelon seeds I started (as you can see). I used my second bag of potting soil finishing out most of my container plantings. I started green onions, kale, thyme, spearmint, Italian parsley, and German chamomile. I also transplanted the herb plants from Crabtree Farms into bigger pots. I am so excited to be having fresh herbs this year.

I did some more succession planting of spinach, radishes, lettuce (both the Romaine & Green Ice), and cucumbers. My cole crops are really taking off now, minus the fact that I've lost half my cabbage to cutworms. I'm really excited that I might actually get decent broccoli this year.

I also spent some time weeding my front flower bed and planting black-eyed susans and mini zinnias. It looks like my daisies are pondering putting up flower stalks. I have tons of rosebuds waiting to open too. I can't wait! The only downside to my roses is our little Eastern Tent Catterpillar plague this year. (I kid you not, I've never seen so many.) They aren't doing too much damage all things considered though.

DH & I went by Ace this evening for screws to put up the rest of the shutters on the house. I was super surprised by the amount, quality, and price of their plants this year. I'm pretty sure I said that last year too, although I don't remember them having heirloom tomatoes or quite the variety of so many other things last year. I think I will just buy my tomatoes, peppers, etc. there sometime this week and not worry about another trip down to Crabtree. I did go ahead and get a bunch more composted manure this evening, so I can build corn mounds. Hopefully I can get that bed started this week.

Other goals for the week: finish planting zinnias, fertilize roses, finish building 2nd half of new lasagna bed, weed & prep office bed & plant sunflowers.

No comments: