Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Building, Planting, Reading

I've been continuing to work on the new lasagna bed. So far the layers are: newspaper, peat moss, shredded paper, compost, old soil from containers, and grass clippings. I still need to put half the layer of grass clippings, then it will be peat moss, sawdust, peat moss, and a sprinkling of lime. Hopefully, I will be able to finish by the end of the week.

I have to say a little note about composting. Last year was the first time I tried, and I was really worried about the science of it since I really didn't do half of what they say you should. However, after harvesting my first pile, I am super impressed. It was so cool to see all the organisims that were living in and decomposing all that stuff. And I've never seen such big earthworms! I am definitely fully hooked, composting is actually very easy and very cool!

Today, I actually started out by replanting the broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprout plants that had died. I discovered that there really was a cutworm next to the dead Brussels sprout, and that the soil wasn't really too dry once I dug down in. I did double the blood/bone meal when planting as well as add a generous side dressing trench. The Brussels sprouts are still a little purple and some of the cabbage looks yellow/stunted. I actually tried to mathematically figure how much fertilizer they needed this time, so I hope I did okay.

My radishes look great, and the lettuce and spinach has started to come up as well. I planted another 3rd of a row of all three. I also planted Fernleaf Dill among the brassicas and a half row of Harris Model parsnips.

I finished Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
by Eliot Coleman last night. Coleman is making a successful sustainable living on the Nearing's old property in Maine. The fact that they eat year round in Maine is amazing to me, and certainly tells me that I should be able to do it so much better here in Tennessee. What I especially appreciated and made copies of in this book was detailed instructions, including construction, of various cold frames & greenhouses and how to use them. There is also a very practical chapter on storage including root cellaring. At first I thought that it wouldn't be very helpful to me since my seasons are so different, but the advice was thorough and practical and occasionally had comments of this is what you can do in zone 7 & south. I feel that I have a much better handle on when to start fall planting and how to keep it going. It is definitely a book I will refer to again.

No comments: