Sunday, April 20, 2008

Planting Continues

I took a field trip to Crabtree Farms this morning for their spring plant sale. Crabtree Farms is an urban community garden on the southside of Chattanooga. I've been wanting to visit for a while, and it was awesome to check it out. They have 5 acres, and you can volunteer, rent your own plot, attend their free workshops, or buy local meat, eggs, & produce from their farm stand. It's really amazing to be in the center of industry and suddenly find yourself in a beautiful country farm. Since their plant sale started yesterday, the good stuff was gone, but I managed to bring home a plant each of Rosa Bianca eggplant, Carmen sweet pepper, common sage, Greek oregano, and chives. They said that in a few weeks they will have more tomato plants available, so I left my email address and hope to go back down in May. Hopefully they will have cantaloupe plants available as well. It's just as well that I get those plants later, since they really shouldn't be transplanted until then anyway. I put my pepper & eggplant plants inside on a window sill, since I'm a little afraid it might get too cold at night for them. I'll have to ask about that on Gardenweb. The herbs are currently sitting on my front porch.

When I got home, I finished one half of the new lasagna bed. (I will finish the 2nd half when I collect more grass clippings.) I planted Bright Lights swiss chard, 1/2 row Detroit Red beets, about 2 dozen sweet onions, 1/2 row carrots, 1/2 row American Flag leeks, 1/2 row Seven Top turnips, & 1/3 row Spacemaster bush cucumbers. I also started seeds for Sugar Baby watermelon and some catgrass inside. They're now in the windowsill next to the pepper & eggplant.

As for stuff already in the garden, I discovered that a cutworm got another cabbage. :( Otherwise, I think the extra fertilizing did a lot of good. The broccoli and Brussels sprouts look great for the most part. The cabbage is looking better too, I think. My second planting of radishes are just starting to come up. Wow, do they sprout fast!

This evening, I'm hoping to get a 2nd coat of paint on my back porch. That way I can start planting containers tomorrow. This week I also need to fertilize my roses, prep the bed for my 3 sisters plot, deadhead my tulips, and maybe get started planting my flower annuals in the front of the house. We'll see what happens.

No comments: