Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Harvest has Begun

I've been picking a couple of cucumbers, tomatoes, & peppers just about every day that I go out to the garden. (really about twice a week) Friday, I made sweet relish and canned 3 1/2 pints as well as 1 pint of kosher dill slices with leftover brine from last week. I was so proud that everything in the relish was from my garden, including the onions.

However, that's all the onions from this year. I still consider it an improvement since I didn't really get any onions to bulb last year. This year they got dug up by dogs several times, but persevered. Most of them did bulb, but not a huge amount. Next year I will try to plant two whole bunches /and/ hope that they don't get dug up.

I noticed that I'm starting to get an eggplant, and my Carmen peppers are starting to turn red. My romas are coming in nicely, but I don't think I'll get another round after this one. For some reason the plant is looking very sad. I think it might be a late blight. On a more happy note, I noticed two tiny green Goliath tomatoes. I have about 4 growing watermelons, but I can't figure out why I have no cantaloupes. Must do some research on that.

It's been so nice to really just eat out of the garden every day. I've been harvesting my romaine lettuce and we've had some nice salads. The chard is going strong and we're even getting some broccoli shoots still. I also picked the first few brussel sprouts. There were only three so hopefully they will still be good in the crisper as others become ready.

Sunday's To Do List:

1. Mow & rake grass clippings for mulch/compost.
2. Spray pepper & chammomile for aphids.
3. Plant mustard.
4. Tie up roma tomato by the house.
5. Weed tomato bed.
6. Pull up some broccoli and plant seeds.
7. Work on garden paths.
8. Start layers for berry bushes. (I doubt I'll get to this though.)

No comments: