Friday, May 30, 2008

Starting The New Bed Again

Yesterday I finally replanted my new bed with okra, corn, leeks, carrots, and swiss chard. I also pulled down the soil on the onions that needed it to help them bulb. I'm very pleased that the onions that didn't have to high of soil are starting to bulb nicely. Last year I didn't know that and I didn't really get any. Yay! I'm was also excited to see that I actually have a few chard from the previous planting that are starting to come up despite all the trauma.

I noted today that my basil, spinach, cucumbers, green ice lettuce, and one dill plant are all sprouted. My tomatoes and cantaloupe are actually starting to flower also. I was trying to pick off suckers and early flowers from my tomato plants, but I think I clipped the main growth stem from my brandywine. Oops. So, now I'm just letting everything grow free. Hopefully the suckers on the brandywine will take over and be fine.

I harvested another radish, and it looks like I about have enough lettuce and spinach for another salad. Yesterday, I harvested three broccoli crowns for supper, and today I clipped the first of my flat leaf parsley in my potato salad this evening. It's so nice having my own fresh herbs and really eating out of the garden again.

No comments: