Sunday, March 4, 2012

Onions & Leeks

Not too much to say today. It's been an interesting weekend that was almost a repeat of last April with storms that included tornadoes. Once again we were blessed. We did lose a shed, so a new shed including some nice garden storage/work area is in order soon.

My onion and leek order came in last Tuesday, so I made it my first priority this morning to get them into the ground. It took up almost a whole entire bed! I already have spinach and beets there, and there is enough room for a couple of rows of carrots, but that is it. I guess I will have to put the swiss chard in either with the other greens or with the legumes. We'll see how things work out. I will probably put the scallions in with my herb bed.

The peas have sprouted. Yay! I thought the spinach would have sprouted by now, but it hasn't. Oh well. I am using a new calendar/planning system called Sprout Robot. You enter what you want to grow and your zip code and it calculates when you should be planting what and takes you all the way through harvest. As you plant or whatever, you check it off and it recalculates. It's totally free and pretty cool so far. I didn't get to take pictures today, but I will try to do that this week.

No comments: