Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Legumes that Went Out of Control

The Great Bean Takeover

May is always a busy time in the garden, but as always it is a crazy time at school as well. Crazy stress of finishing up = Crazy sickness as well... I am finally in the full recovery...err...relaxation of June. Huzzah! In that time, I have managed to finish planting peppers, squash, cucumbers and watermelon, although I still need to put in some basil plants and a yellow pepper. I have also picked a ton of broccoli and peas.

Unfortunately though, the garden has had to mostly fend for itself. That has led to some bolting of cooler plants such as lettuce and broccoli, but the worst problem as been with my green beans. I got them planted about three weeks ago, but did not get around to creating a trellis for them to climb. Those beans took fending for themselves literally! They just cozied up with the peas, and you could hardly tell which kind of plant was on the pea trellis. Today, I set about to fix the problem, and it was no small task. I untangled and pulled and unwove until I finally got the beans back in their row and the peas all pulled up. (In the process I picked and froze about a quart of shelled peas.) After the great untangle and fixing everyone's place nicely, I tried to set the beans up on their own trellis and planted lima beans in the peas' place. Overall, my new trellis method is rather nice; I just have to never underestimate the speed of pole bean growth.

It has become super hot, so that it is impossible to just set aside a day for gardening. I have to work for a few hours in the morning each day. So, tomorrow's goal is to take care of the brassica bed. Several cabbages are ready to be picked, as well as lots of broccoli. Some broccoli is flowering as is some other greens and stuff, so that's all ready to be pulled up. I will also try to add some grass clippings as mulch in that bed, and I may freeze some broccoli. It really depends on how I assess things tomorrow. I also need to replant some butternut squash, as that didn't really come up for some reason.

Until tomorrow....hopefully...

No comments: