Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Herb Spiral



In my perusing around today, I discovered a neat little technique called the herb spiral. This is a beautiful and simple way to create microclimates for all of your herbs. It's basically a pyramid in spiral style created by rocks or bricks. As you water the top, the water seeps down. So, the herbs at the top require the driest conditions, trickling down to the ones wanting the most water at the bottom. Then of course the ones that want more sun would be on the south side.

I would like to try this at some point. However, my question is how do you keep certain plants (like mint) from getting out of hand?

1 comment:

Graziella said...

That is really cool! I want to learn about gardening here in Utah. Being a desert and all, it's very different than what I'm used to. But I wonder if the herb spiral would work...